So you are interested in the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2. It means you’re aiming for the lightest tent … among the ultralight tents!
I wouldn’t even call it weight when we’re talking of its mass. You can hardly feel it carried, and I’m not kidding when it comes to choosing the right tent.
Chances are that you are like me that the only priority is the best quality/price ratio in the market then I’m sure you don’t care about the technical part.
Nevertheless, I used the correct and full names so, if you are interested in further digging you can always refer to GetMyTent.
- 3 season, free standing, ultralight backpacking tent
- DAC Featherlite NFL pole system with press fit connectors and lightweight hubs
- All DAC poles made from TH72M aluminium: the latest technology in lightweight tent poles featuring improved durability
- Mesh body offers excellent ventilation
- Hub/pole design makes set up quick and easy
- DAC Twist Clips attach tent body to the pole frame for quick and easy set-up
- 2 rainbow doors
- 2 vestibules with single stake outs and storm flaps over zippers
- 2 interior pockets
- Reflective guylines and webbing for night-time visibility
- 8 superlight aluminium J stakes
- Body material: Ultralight nylon and polyester mesh
- Floor material: Ultralight silicon treated ripstop with a 1200mm waterproof PU coating
- Rainfly material: Ultralight silicon treated ripstop with a 1200mm waterproof PU coating
- Fast Fly weight: 2 lb 1 oz (0.935 kg)
- Total weight: 3 lb 2 oz (1.4 kg)
- Floor space: 29 sq ft (2.7 sq m)
- Vestibule space: 18 sq ft (1.6 sq m)
- Packed size: 5.5 x 17.5 in (14 x 44 cm)
- Inside length: 90 in (229 cm)
- Inside width: 52 in (132 cm)
- Inside height: 42 in (107 cm)
Probably you already have the idea that space is priority to me. Like most of the 2 person tents, this one is also more like a ‘one person + backpack’ tent.
- I must admit: if you are well acquainted, then the two of you can still make it together.
- As well to note, that only a few two person tents are truly two person fit. Couples can easily make it though.
Nevertheless, the two big vestibules at doors’ sides allow you to store all your gears, if you are two and need every square cm space to sleep.
This tent doesn’t come with a footprint and if you are concerned about damaging it because of the surface or just want to preserve its cleanliness then I highly recommend to get one.
To whom, that budget is tight, I would recommend a simple ground sheet, even from construction sites you can get one instead of buying a brand new, specially designed for such purposes.
It’s a 3 season tent so you can enjoy it from early spring to late fall, around the clock. It’s totally solid in the roughest thunderstorm too. This is a unique feature among ultralight tents, so you can take it easily to extreme places.
As you could see in the pictures, this has a huge mesh on the body’s top, thus the ventilation prevents the condensation of the dreaded water on the walls.
I must say: you will encounter some excess water on the rainfly, which is absolutely normal.
The nearly 90 degree angled walls give a really specious interior feeling and camper can sit up inside. It has 2 pockets to reach your belongings and keep things organized.
It is nearly free standing, however, always use the guy lines whenever you assume there will be wind or rain to give extra support and protection to your tent!
This is said; I must mention that the setting comes with 8 pegs. These pegs are relatively solid and do a good job. You can fix the four corners of the tent, the vestibules and the end of the fly.
The bathtub’s 4 in (11 cm) extension over the ground level gives a huge extra support from ground water and rain, which cannot get drained in heavy raining.
The fly is attached to the body at the corners by buckles. The core aluminium alloy frame has only two pieces. Hence pitching is even easier and more convenient then others’.
Thanks to the durability of the materials used in the canopy and with poles, it has an outstanding weather resistance.
In my opinion …
… this tent is a bit pricy, but you get way more than you expect from any other products in its price range. It’s super light and easy to set.
These are the things what an entry backpacker will appreciate in the first place!
That pic I found just showing the truth behind the meaning of ultralight 🙂
This article must bring clearness according to Copper Spur UL 2 tent, however if you aren’t sure that this the right tent, then you might check my Top 5 Best Camping Tent Review to get more insights!
Also, you are welcome to check this Camping Essentials Checklist before planning your next outdoor experiences! I have applied all of my camping knowledge to make your life easier!
If you are hesitating, who am I and what kind of experiences do I have, check out this short bio!